Sunday, November 25, 2012

Relearning He Rejoices

I love it when God re-reveals things (because let's face it, I keep relearning the same things over and over again all the time). When a concept shows up more than three times in the same week, I know he's got his hammer out and is chiseling away again. This week it was his laughter, his joy in expression, as seen in the Father of the Prodigal, in the God of Zephaniah, and in the Psalms. I've been reminded that I'm a work in progress and he is pleased with that. Please remember that also rings true of this poem below. Thanks for allowing me to be real here.


Delight
Zephaniah 3:15-17

To slink into his throne room
dirty,
polluted,
stained anew.
Age-old, repetitive sin – once again.
Mask of remorse over heart of fear.

Not a fear he’ll be shocked;
He knows me too intimately.
Not a fear he’ll be angry;
His patience knows no bounds.
Not a fear he won’t love;
His arms envelop me even now.
Not a fear he won’t forgive;
He’s proven himself too faithful.

A fear that with each return,
Each of my requests for
forgiveness,
love,
patience,
Is an exchange for his pleasure.

Dreading his disappointment
(Because I know how I respond
to my kids,
to my debtors,
to my friends.)
Fearing his joy toward me will wane.

Not realizing each moment of grace,
Every chance for forgiveness,
Is reason for rejoicing.
Me. Daughter of the King.

The Lord is in your midst;
you shall never again fear.

The prophets promise loud singing,
a God whisking away sin. Every time.
I twirl in his arms to catch his smile.
His song puts my fear to rest.

1 comment:

ks said...

reminds me of JOhn Piper poetry. I like it (and the message)