Monday, September 2, 2013

When I blew it on Day 1


Last Monday was the first day that all the staff was together on our Middle School campus. It was full of excitement, anticipation, and freshness. It was also chaotic as we weathered change after change that we couldn’t control. Chaos grew into frustration, and before I knew it, I blew it.

The details aren’t important, but by the grace of God, a person in my life had the courage and love to confront me. Of course, initially I was humbled and embarrassed, then guilt-ridden and self-condemning. But with processing, here’s what I learned:

1. Harsh words from friends are more valuable than kisses from enemies.
2. Attitude is a vital part of leadership.
3. His mercies are new every morning.

Thank God for #3 most of all!

It’s funny how it’s not the big trial of the year, the weighty decision that might affect a student’s future or the confrontation from a parent that got me down so quickly. In the grade scheme of things, it was a minute thing. I guess it’s good to learn lessons at the beginning. May it lead to less of me and more of him.

2 comments:

jake said...

As hard as it is, those kisses are a sweet thing that help conform us to the image of our wonderful Savior! Love you, Mama

Celeste said...

Great post Kati. Thanks for sharing with us something that is hard for all of us and helping us keep in mind how we should respond to confrontation. love you, Tante Celeste