Saturday, May 17, 2014

First End-of-Year Thoughts

I found this quote this morning in a Commentary:

"How preferable is the service of God to all other services! And in serving him, we are not called to live and die to ourselves, but unto Christ, whose we are, and whom we ought to serve."

We are hurtling toward the end of the year like a rocket into space, and sometimes it feels just as out of control and aimless as I imagine a rocket ride might. However, there is always a target, and the many months of preparation and teaching, chiseling and encouraging will come to fruition in the next four weeks. I hope.

Nerves are raw though, and emotions are running high, especially as I allow myself to recognize that I will be missing out on all "these wonderful things" next year. It's easy for me to slip into cynicism and to only see the sacrifice rather than the rewards. Rarely does my work here at BFA feel like the "dying" part of service but usually the "living" part. And yet, it is definitely service.

That is the part of the quote that struck a chord with me. I am not here merely because I love TCK's or love teaching or wanted to meet a need. I'm here because the one whom I serve placed me here. To be fully at his disposal is to allow him to move me around like a chess piece - if that would be his will. Thankfully, my Master is kind and knows my heart and has seen fit to place me in a work situation I adore, but what if that were to change? What if this next year holds more "death" than "life" (speaking very metaphorically)? That doesn't make him any less kind or sovereign. It means that I am still his and he is requesting my service to him take place on another continent (or two) for a while.

Today, this quote makes me rejoice. Because service outside my comfort zone done to him is still preferable to all other services! Joy in the Journey.

No comments: