Sunday, January 31, 2021

Milka & Jesus

 I was standing in the food aisle of World Market with a childish grin on my face, I’m sure. In front of me were two shelves of Milka bars in various flavors and sizes. I had to resist the urge to reach out and caress each one while I decided if the price (three times that of back home) was worth it (which it was) and which ones to choose. After another several minutes, I finally made my selection and lovingly placed five bars in my basket, only to turn and find a short, masked lady watching me.

“Those must be really good,” she said with a chuckle. 

Embarrassed at the realization that I’d been blocking the aisle, I quickly moved aside, laughing nervously in response. “They remind me of home,” I explained. “In fact, the place I work is only 20 minutes from one of the Milka factories.”

“So, they are good?” She stepped forward and reached for my favorite flavor, the Noisette.

“Yes,” I said adamantly. 

“Thanks!” she placed three bars into her basket, and we parted ways, both eager to savor the lovely soft chocolate.

The encounter stuck with me though. Someone had seen me staring with joy at a product and had been intrigued enough to want to purchase the same item and try it out. And of course I believe she won’t be disappointed. In last week’s sermon, we were challenged to be the kind of believers who would live in such a way that those who don’t yet know Jesus would grow so curious at our obsession and our joy that they would want to come a step closer and find out for themselves what makes him so great. We are walking advertisements, in a way.

So I have to ask myself the question: Do I stare at Jesus as intently and lovingly as at a Milka bar from my home country? He's definitely more beautiful and more important. It’s something to strive for.

My obsession started a young age!

No comments: