Thursday, January 17, 2008

Movie Reviews

Since I'm practically unemployed, definitely placement-less, and both too poor and too cheap to do anything that costs something, I'm becoming quite the movie critic, sitting at home on my couch by myself. Two days ago, I watched Little Women, one I've actually seen before but had wanted to again since watching the high school play of it last weekend. I do like the story a lot, though I can't help feeling every time that it's just terrible that Laurie and Jo don't end up together. (Now I've ruined it for everyone who hasn't see it.) But the dialogue is just really wonderful, and I think the acting in this version, with Winona Ryder as Jo, is fantastic.

Yesterday, I watched the classic Gone with the Wind for the first time (yes, I know I'm behind the times). I had no idea it was such a long movie, but I never got bored, though of course, I did watch it in two installments. Having recently taught this era in history during my fall placement, it was fun to recognize so many things I'd learned: the various battles, Sherman's march to the Sea, the burning of Atlanta, 40 acres and a mule, carpetbaggers, .... The characters were interesting, and I appreciated the way my attitude toward Scarlett O'Hara changed throughout the movie from not being able to stand her to at least sympathizing with her plight, even if I can't say she's worthy of hero worship. The end wasn't quite what I expected and yet, it would have been wrong to have a cliche happy ending. It's certainly one I'll have to watch again.

Today I viewed The Holiday, a bit more recent. Can't say that I liked it all that much. It had its perks. The music was amazing (is there a soundtrack?), the sub-story about the old screenwriter Arthur was great, and Jude Law was quite the eye candy - not to mention he was playing a lot of girls' dream guy, all sensitive and mushy like that as well as being the perfect father to little girls - but overall, it was just okay. I found the first half of the movie to be really slow, and the second half ... just didn't wow me.

Tomorrow, I'm returning to more missed classics of my childhood; I plan on watching Breakfast at Tiffany's with Audrey Hepburn. If you have any other good suggestions, I'm open to them.

1 comment:

Allison said...

You can't go wrong with "Moon River" from Breakfast at Tiffany's. I love Marilyn Monroe in "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend." That would fit into your classic mood.

Did you wonder why I haven't been commenting lately? I didn't know you'd switched to Blogspot! I've been checking your Xanga every day! Welcome!