Sunday, January 13, 2008

Whose dumb idea was this?


Well, I'm now a blogger instead of a xanga-er. Here was my last post from Xanga and my first post on blogspot. It was written 2 weeks ago after my first skiing trip in the Alps in at least 2 years.


So we went skiing yesterday in the most beautiful place on God's earth. If I ever get some of the pictures onto my computer, I'll try to attach some in the next few days. For now though, I'm in so much pain. Fun as it was to go skiing in the Alps where the chair lifts actually take you UP in altitude and where slope runs last longer than 30 seconds, I must be getting older because it was actually hard work. Part of it was the fact that I had to borrow skis, and she hadn't used (or waxed) them in about 7 years, but I wasn't nearly as brave as I used to be nor as agile. Not that I've been shy about sharing my battle wounds with everybody.

On our way out of the high mountains, we passed by some Roman baths, and that got me thinking. The Romans used to live in this area. They came up and said, "Hey, look at all these nice hot springs, rich in minerals and set in these beautiful mountains. Let's make some baths! We'll have some hot pools, some cold ones, maybe give out massages in between, relax, wrap ourselves in comfy towels, breathe in all this fresh air, and live the good life." Then when they left, you have the Germanic tribes who move into the area. They see the mountains and think, "Hey, let's climb them, strap some wooden sticks onto our feet, and throw ourselves down these mountains over and over again. It'll be fun!"

No wonder they called it the Dark Ages.


4 comments:

ella peterson said...

nice to see that you've come over to out 'dark side'. welcome to blogger. the germans were brilliant. who wants to sit on their butt all day? ;)

ella peterson said...

oh! and i love how your location is Afghanistan

Katrina Custer said...

It is?

ella peterson said...

no longer. you are now in the united states - welcome home.