Thursday, January 15, 2009

Funny things I've heard and read

Since my friend Karen has been here, she's been proposed to at least twice and been offered someone's brother/son/friend/cousin, etc, at least five more times, usually by cab drivers. Well, yesterday was tops. I dragged her with me to the Spotlight English Listener's club, and within three minutes Toothless Joe (who's really a sweetheart) was upon her. First question out of his mouth: "Are you in love?"

A freshman came in to borrow my stapler yesterday, and while she was stapling together her papers kept sighing. After about the fifth one, I finally asked if she was okay. She assured me she was but had just been up since 1:30 in the morning working on this project. Then in all seriousness she turned and looked me straight in the face and said (with pause and drama), "You have ... NO ... idea how difficult it was." I had to bite my tongue not to laugh! (Wait till senior year, hunny.)

The best one, however, was on the Mid-terms I gave before I left for Christmas break but didn't grade till I got back last week. Since we had read the story of Esther and watched a movie last December, I had some questions pertaining her character on the test, one of which was "Do you think Esther would be a good role model." Here was one answer. "Yes, because I think Esther has a brave heart. ... Read me right, teacher. I do not say Esther was like Mel Gibson in Braveheart, I say she HAS a brave heart."

2 comments:

The Arteagas said...

I am laughing out loud!!!! truly funny!

ella peterson said...

LOL that's great! funny thing is, i understood her the first time but immediately thought how funny it would be to have Esther play the part in Braveheart that Mel Gibson did (sorry i don't know the characters name)