Monday, January 26, 2009

Proper Names

All semester, my Advanced students have been reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (hooray!). I've been more and more amazed at C.S. Lewis' ingeniousness, not just with his literary insight or Christian message, but his intricate use of the English language. It's really perfect for advanced ESL students.

Anyway, I actually wanted to blog about my most recent musings from his book. In chapter 13, Aslan makes the following comment: "All names will soon be restored to their proper owners." In the context of the story, it's the fact that the White Witch calls herself Queen of Narnia, but I was trying to get my students to think in terms of today. Most made the connection that Jesus will one day again be called "the ruler of the world," and I was pleased. I've always thought it was SO INCREDIBLY cool that Jesus even has a name we don't know yet (Rev 19:12), basically so we can't try to steal it or misuse it.

This weekend, I was struck by the thought of our own names though. Not so much that one day we'll have our proper names back, but more that one day we'll actually live up the names we already have. "Christian" - little Christ, God's chosen, his witnesses, his servants, beautiful, shining stars, etc. I want to be a proper owner!

No comments: