Saturday, February 12, 2011

More from Grandma's Kitchen

Here's another Grandma poem that has come out in the last couple of weeks.

Flour flies from her fingers

The gentlest dusting of snow

Over green countryside of countertop

She shoves her glasses up the bridge of her nose

A white print remains amid furrowed eyebrows


As she recites, “Boiled sour cream – secret ingredient”

My pen flies across pages of notes

Studying the queen in her castle of cinnamon and spice

Compelling the ingredients to meld together

Treasures for the tongue which


Fingers fold faster than the eye

I long to emulate her graceful movement

Firmness, resolve, obvious love

As she leans across a snowy landscape and

With a smile brushes white flour from my cheek


3 comments:

ks said...

I love it! Sort of made me miss my grandma too. But it's beautiful.

Erin said...

Nice poem, Katrina.

ks said...

We were going up to MN to see Amy grant this weekend, and Daniel put on her live CD to listen to. Mimmy's House came on, and I cried because it reminded me of my grandma so much. You might like it too.