Friday, March 25, 2011

The Middle School Play

a.k.a. that which has sucked up most of my March in terms of time and sleep and yet given me deepened relationships and lots of giggles in return. When I first agreed to help "look for props" back in February, I thought it meant locating a chair or two and making some bows and arrows. As you can guess, it was a bit more involved than that, and by the time the curtains went up last weekend, I was the full-fledged Props Manager backstage with my own crew of 6 and a headset no less (my favorite part). On the Monday before the play, it was Crazy Costume day to advertise to the rest of the school to buy tickets. I picked out the Queen's hat, so the two princesses (HH and EC) became my daughters for the day. They hammed it up. IC and BD in their suspenders were my second favorite (I just find suspenders classy).
The prep work was lots of fun, too. I got to draw purple on three girls' feet to make it look like they had trampled on grapes. We tried beets, kool-aid, and food coloring before settling on old-fashioned markers. The wrinkles to make students look older really freaked out a bunch of them, though TP was thrilled to be given a mustache. It was too funny!
Backstage, I spent a large part of my time either shushing students (sorry, students) or yanking the desk around the stage in the dark. We didn't lose any fingers, and one window hung crooked was the only mistake in two shows. Praise God!When we were done, someone said "See you next year." I'll have to think about that. I'm really enjoying my sleep right now.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Katrina, I'm sure that play came together only through your willpower. Congrats! (By the way, you look cute with a crown - maybe you should find yourself one of those European princes.) =)