Sunday, May 29, 2011

M.S. Awards Ceremony

BFA is such a transient community. It's an unavoidable trait considering our purpose and the identity of our students. Missionaries move, military families are reassigned, business families transfer, not to mention seniors graduate. Every year, the good-byes are emotion-filled and many, and I'd like to say it gets easier, but so far Year 2 has proven much more difficult than Year 1.

I tell you this, however, to go a step further and say how impressed I have been with the effort BFA puts into saying good-bye well. Over the past few weeks, I've seen several instances of encouragement and gathering of people who know fully well, this is the "last" whatever, and they intentionally soak it in. Last night, in particular, the Middle School hosted its annual 8th grade Banquet followed by the Middle School Awards Ceremony. It's a time for all to recognize some of the achievements of the past year (academics, music, spiritual growth, ...) and to offer the 8th graders some transition into high school.

Here are some pictures from the dinner:

At the Ceremony itself, the most unique and special part of the evening is the reading of the 8th grade tributes. Several teachers write personalized tributes for 2-3 students they think they know the best and then read them aloud for all their parents and peers. It's powerful, especially when older siblings and even BFA alumni come up and tell you afterwards how they still have their tribute and read it from time to time.

I was thrilled with the three students I got to write for and admit I shed more than one tear in writing (and reading) them. Here's a video of one of them:


As much as I hate it, I do have to come to terms with the fact that our school year is over (although I am ready for a break from lesson planning and grading). Some of my students are leaving for good. Some will be gone for a year or two, and of course some will be back in the fall. I've learned a lot from all of them, and I praise God and thank you for allowing me to be a part of their lives.

1 comment:

Spring Lela Kane said...

Thanks for the comment, your encouragement and your prayers. I love your updates and I'm glad your doing exactly what God's called you to do and serving Him faithfully- Keep it up :) Hope to see you around again someday!