Thursday, August 11, 2011

A first in 12 years!

Today I woke up and missed America. Not the people - I've missed them many many many times in the last 2 years - but actually America with all its conveniences, amenities, faults, culture, and food. I really just wanted to hop over to Caribou for a morning jolt followed by a trip to the public library (because both WILL be open all the time). I'd throw all my trash into the same bin and make calls knowing each one isn't going to cost me extra. And maybe I'd stay up till 2 am just so I can go buy my Peanut Butter M&M's at a 24-hour store (one with a Redbox preferably).

Okay, it's not really that bad. My "missing America" only lasted about 10 minutes and then I remembered everything I love about Europe (and the fact that I seemed to only be missing the shallow consumerism aspects, and I don't want my emotions controlled by THAT). Truly, I'm doing great. I think it just hit me that I haven't been away from America this long in one stretch since before I moved there in 2000. Besides, these are good feelings to have 10 days before school starts because it reminds me what my students will be feeling when they leave all their various home countries to come to school in Germany.

No comments: