Friday, August 26, 2011

My wonderful students

Gawk. Here's reason # 3956105762032 of why I adore Middle Schoolers and the way their minds are working and growing and maturing - both good and goofy.

In 7th grade Geography, we've spent the last two days setting the context for Planet Earth. It is, after all, going to be our subject of study for the year. Part of my goal was for them to see how small Earth is compared to other planets, let alone stars and galaxies and the rest of the universe, so I showed the class part of Louie Giglio's "Indescribable" video here. In our follow-up discussion, I asked the question "What is Earth's purpose? Why did God create it if it's so small and insignificant compared to everything else?" They came up with some good answers about God giving us a place to live and wanting to show up his creativity, etc. I was still trying to prompt them into seeing that all of creation glorifies God when MC raised his hand, and I called on him.

MC: "So, maybe God created the Earth as a home for us, okay. But why did he even create us?"

Me: "Do you mean 'why did he create humans'?"

MC: "Yes, why did he waste his time with us? Especially if he knew many of us would not even believe in him?"

Whoa, 7th graders asking philosophical questions most intellectuals can't even answer. My heart skipped a few beats, and of course my mind began racing for an answer. I chickened out and turned the question back on them.

Me: "Why do you think God created humans?"

AP (timidly): "Maybe he was lonely?"

Me: "Um, ... anybody else have any ideas?"

NR: "Maybe he wanted someone to love him."

Me: "Good, keep the ideas coming?"

Sadly we didn't have enough time to fully unpack it. We did eventually end with God's glory, and I'm planning on reviving the conversation on Monday, but HOW COOL IS MY JOB?!?!?!? Where Middle Schoolers can have spiritual conversations at the drop of a hat?

1 comment:

jake said...

Love the story. Maybe we can talk on Thursday morning (for us). Missing you! Love, Mama