Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Finishing the race

Courtesy of kidsrunningwild.net
Last year when I ran the 7k in Basel, I really got hooked on running. It's not that I enjoy running all that much. I have two heroic friends who share about the meaningful prayers they have when the run and the joy they feel in the process, the joy they know God feels. I just don't. I've tried. I don't. However, I have discovered that I love love love races! I'm not sure why, but the atmosphere and the crowds and knowing exactly how much ground I covered in how much time and the t-shirt and especially the camaraderie - that's something I can run for.

And there is something to be said for the accomplishment, for a race finished. Hebrews 12:1-2 has been a recurring verse at the Middle School so far this year, highlighting the various aspects of running the race set before us (God's design, not ours) and running it well. It's about getting rid of the things that entangle, about focusing on the finish line where Christ stands, about allowing the crowd of witnesses to be your "cheering squad" as I called it for the Middle Schoolers.

After the 7k last September and watching several friends complete the half-marathon, I secretly added the half-marathon (21k) to my own bucket list. I didn't dream it would ever come so soon, but last Sunday, I was able to cross it off. I owe a lot of gratitude to Jill Musick for her patience and encouragement along the way. My goal was to finish without stopping in hopefully under 2 1/2 hours. Her goal was to help me make my goal. Isn't that what the body of Christ should be doing for each other as we all run the race before us? I also owe a lot to the crowd of ~10 BFA friends who made signs and screamed and cheered and hollered and annoyed all the stoic Swiss onlookers to make sure we finished well. Talk about a crowd of witnesses!

Rounding the last corner (Jill on far left)
the three half-marathoners
with Rachel and our medals
(Photos courtesy of Rachel)

It felt amazing to finish, and praise be to God, I finished in under 2 1/2 hours, just nine minutes before the first marathoner (and yes, we started at the same time...). I had a great time celebrating afterwards with water and medals and friends, but rest assured: the full marathon has not made its way onto my bucket list. I think I'll be content from here on out with 10k's. :-)


2 comments:

Lois' desk said...

I'm so glad you blogged about the race. I've been wondering about it. Kudo's to you for accomplishing the HM!!! I don't know that I'll ever get to the point that I'll do a HM. It's kinda in the back of my mind, but I just can't fathom running that distance.
I'm so proud of you for your accomplishment!! Way to go!

jake said...

I left you a comment the day you posted this but it isn't here. Just said that I am very proud of you and love you tons!