Friday, May 9, 2008

Mom?

Yesterday, when I was at a local elementary school applying for a temporary job, the nice lady showing me around turned during a lull in a conversation and asked, "So, how many kids do you have?" Not "do you have kids?" Not even "are you married?" It was slightly awkward to have to say "none." What precisely made her assume I'm a mom?

Then, tonight at Kohl's, the friendly gentleman at the cash register packed up my purchases, handed me the back, and said with a genuine smile, "Happy Mother's Day, ma'am." Again, my heart did a little flutter, though this time it may have also been with a blush, for I was after all buying sexy lingerie for my roommate's shower tomorrow. Did he think I was going to wear it this weekend? (I'm definitely no size 6.) And since when am I a "ma'am" anyway?

Must be the mom bag I lug around with me. Maybe I need a new purse.

3 comments:

ella peterson said...

ouch! really?! i'm sorry. although, maybe it could be a compliment that you have the poise of a mother?

Jen said...

totally stinks. sorry about that.

Allison said...

Go back to your cute China purse. I love that one! (That comment has nothing to do with whatever purse you're using now, just that I really like the other one.)