Monday, October 13, 2008

Exploring Quito and volcanoes

I'm so behind! But I guess that's good for you because you'll only get highlights rather than my babbling on and on. First picture: this is what I fall asleep to every night and wake up to every morning. The airport is so close and the planes so low that I can often read the company name on the tail. Fun fun!

This last Friday was a holiday. Actually, Thursday was the real day, but the government gave everyone Friday off. I thought it was a good idea. My friends Serene, Adeline, and I went hiking down Pululahua Crater. It was like a lost world down there, completely cut off from the rest of the world other than via the steep path we hiked down. Those who live down in the crater (it's extremely fertile farmland) have to use donkeys or horses to bring all their supplies in and their goods out. In the second picture you can see a man we passed heading out, and look at the steep cliffs ahead of him. That's what we hiked down.


Melon patch growing on top of a roof:

Of course, hiking down wasn't the hard part. After lunch at the only restaurant down in the crater, we had to hike back up! Serene (in the red) is pretty used to hiking, but Adeline and I had to stop about every three minutes and catch our breath. That incline plus the altitude just didn't make for ideal hiking conditions. Well, Serene thought so, but we don't ask her anymore.


These pictures go back to the previous weekend. Adeline took me downtown to the historical center of Quito. There are tons of hidden courtyards, nooks, and crannies that are going to make it one of my favorite old towns, I can already tell. In the second picture, you can see the two towers of the Basilica, Quito's biggest church. They only have about 100 ornate Catholic ones. The picture that has me with the view was taken from the restaurant where we had an afternoon snack before the rains hit. (They come almost without fail every afternoon.)



Finally, here are more pictures of Quito from the top of Mt. Pichincha. Look at that wind! (No, I didn't grow antennas out the side of my head.) We took the cable car up to the top around 12,000 feet for a gorgeous view of the entire valley. In the second picture, you can see not only part of the mountain but half the antennas. HCJB Radio owns the two tallest, but unfortunately you can't see them in this picture because they're also the two skinniest and don't show up. The clump of "whiter" clouds in the distance is hovering over Mt. Cayambe, which is much higher than Pichincha. I know because it has snow on it.


Anyway, I'm at work and should probably get back to it. Anyone convinced they need to come for a visit yet? I'm ready!

4 comments:

Allison said...

Oh, reading your posts makes me want to travel so badly! That crater looks really steep - I would be more scared going down than up, though.

Spring Lela Kane said...

Wow, it sounds like you're having an amazing experience! I must say I was shocked by the melons growing on the roof of that house- it made me laugh. I am slightly jealous because I absolutely LOVE mountains and the outdoors and you are over there and I am in the Cities :( You are in my thoughts and I will try to keep you in my prayers. Talk to you later Katrina!

Dougg said...

Kati!! Thank you so much for the pics and the report! We love hearing and seeing how you are doing. We're a tad bit jealous of your wonderful opportunities. Trust you will see and enjoy all you can down there. Love to you from Liz's place in Portland.

Erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.