Thursday, September 25, 2008

First News from Ecuador

As you probably assumed, I made it to Quito safe and sound just under a week ago, and I love it here. The mountains are gorgeous, the weather is just perfect with a blend of sun, rain, warm, and cool every day, the food (so far) has been delicious, and the people are faultlessly welcoming. My Spanish skills are weak, but I'm set up on a daily 1/2-hour computer program, and my downstairs neighbor and I agreed to do a trade-off every week: an hour of Spanish for an hour of English.

Here's a view of my house. I go through the middle door (the reddish-orange one), up the stairs, and to the right. That three-paned window on the right is my living room. (Notice the dud balcony that has no door out on to it.)

The HCJB (world radio) campus is just to the left of this picture, and my school, the CCC, is on that campus. It takes me 2 minutes to get to work. J Here’s the best overview shot of the campus I could get. I’m standing on an overpass, looking toward Mount Pinchincha. The yellow buildings just beyond the soccer field are the start of the HCJB campus. In fact, those closest buildings are the school, CCC.

Here’s the CCC from the front. The top two floors are actually the school (small, isn’t it). Then there’s me in front of the CCC-NWC sign, then me in my office, and then the view from my office with Pinchincha in the background. Clearly, I’m suffering.

Last Saturday, one of the permanent missionaries and another short-termer took me to a market downtown in one of the parks. They only sold Ecuadorian-made things, all of which are things I love: scarves, blankets, jewelry, art, ponchos, etc. We happened to be there over noon. Look Ma, no shadow!

That’s basically it so far. I’m in the office 8 – 5, and since it’s dark by 6:15 and I can’t be out by myself, I’ve either been indoors reading or with other missionaries (played games one night, joined a Bible study on Tuesday nights, and volunteered at an English Club Wednesday night). Next week, Dr. Cureton, the president from Northwestern, is coming, so everyone’s in a frenzy about that. It’s going to be great for me though because we’re going to go into the Amazon one day and up Pinchincha another. Catch you all later!

5 comments:

Lori G, said...

Hola Katrina,

(Couldn't make it upsidedown) ?Como esta usted? OK, that's the extent of my Espanol.

Quito is nothing like I expected. I thought it would be more crowded and congested. It's beautiful.

Miss you - Lori

ella peterson said...

how fun Trina! it sounds like you are fairing well thus far. i miss you a ton already! hugs!

jake said...

I had no idea you had a blog. Great and I am enjoying catching up while we watch football!

Bonny said...

So awesome, Katrina!! How exciting!

Erin said...

So glad you arrived safely and that you're doing well! I'll be looking forward to more pictures!