Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Overactive Guilt Reflex

I'd worked every day since last Thursday and hadn't gotten much sleep the last two nights, plus, the packing and sorting I still need to do before next week was feeling overwhelming. So last night, I turned down a sub job for the first time. And I felt SOOOOOOO guilty! What in the world?! I began praying and begging God that I wouldn't get any early-morning calls today, but that he would just let me sleep in, and then we'd enjoy the day together doing all the errands I need to do. I got five!!! Count 'em. It felt like a battle of the wills, and I kept asking God if this was a sign that I was meant to take a job today. But I did keep pressing "no," so we'll see where this day goes. Do I just have an overactive guilt reflex?

My friend Ramona from Spittal thinks it's the Austrianness in me because Austrians don't say "no." In fact, there's a saying: If he says "yes," he means "maybe." If he says "maybe," he means "no." If he says "no," he's not an Austrian.

1 comment:

The Arteagas said...

been there, done that! I feel guilty all the time when I say no!!! you did good, Katrina!!!! :-)