Sunday, August 8, 2010

I would go to the ends of the earth

To be honest, I had my first "this missions thing stinks" today. I haven't had one up until now. Sure there have been rough patches and mornings I didn't want to call another church and "beg" for money, but I never was sad to think of going. I never doubted that my calling into missions was the greatest thing ever! Today though, when my parents drove off and I left my brother and his family at the airport, for the first time, it wasn't so rosy.

I suppose meeting Olivia had something to do with it; she'll be walking the next time I see her. It's also the fact that as a family, we've always had the next get-together on the calendar, even if it was nearly a year out in the future, there was something certain to look forward to. Furthermore, I've never left for a two-year stint to anywhere. The most was 11 months in Taiwan. 2 years!?! It just sounds so much longer!

I was feeling pretty low in the car on the way back to Shoreview tonight. So God showed up in the form of a song on the radio again (he's done it before). The song "Jesus, I believe in you" has ministered to me before, but never quite the way it did tonight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErYjQNg_BAw.

Jesus, I believe in you,
and I would go to the ends of the earth
the ends of the earth
For you alone are the Son of God
and all the world will see that you are God
You are God!

It's all about Him. I've had the privilege up until now that it could also be somewhat about my love of Europe, my own knowledge of German, and my comfort of living cross-culturally. the cost hasn't been as real to me, but now that it is, I need to remind myself daily that it is still all about him. As they told us in training, nothing will keep you in your calling as much as a commitment to obedience. So, the "stinky days" will probably come again, but I know who's God, and I know where I'm supposed to be.

2 comments:

The Arteagas said...

but I can totally see why it would be hard to leave Olivia - she's adorable!

jake said...

Great post, Kati. Stirred my heart in so many ways.
Love you, Mama