Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Christmas Survey

Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? I agree with Allison: both. I only discovered egg nog two years ago, but it's wonderful.

Colored lights on tree or white?
White. And not just on the tree, everywhere in the house! Unfortunately, the first two packets I bought here in Ecuador tricked me and were colored, so this year, I have both.

When do you put your decorations up?
The sooner the better, but usually a couple of hours after Thanksgiving.

What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
Again, I'm with Allison: mashed potatoes and gravy.

Favorite holiday memory as a child? It's extremely difficult to choose one

When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? Austrians don't really have Santa. It was the Christmas Child who brought the gifts, but I can't remember a time when I didn't know it was my parents, even if they did sign the present "From Santa."
Snow! Love it or dread it? Love it. Love it! Love it!!!!!! Miss it. :-(
Can you ice skate? Yes, I can, but it's my absolute least favorite activity in winter. It KILLS my feet after only 10 minutes, (and no, it's not just something that will go away with exposure. It's been going on for 27 years).
Do you remember your favorite gift? Oh my, not really. Well, maybe the money in 1998 that I was able to put toward my amazing Eurorail trip the next summer.
What's the most important thing about the holidays for you? I love it ALL! (And you who know me know I'm not exaggerating.) But I find it hard to not say the most important thing is celebrating my Savior who stepped over the biggest cross-cultural barriers by making himself tiny and becoming not just human but a helpless baby.
What is your favorite holiday dessert? Only one?!? Peanut butter balls, preferably with only some chocolate on it. (followed by pecan pie, sugar cookies with lots of icing, fudge, wassail, ...)
What is your favorite tradition? Again, just one?!? Going to the Christmas Eve service and following it up with our family fondue. I remember always dreading the fondue being over, and that's intensified more and more as we've gotten older.
What is your favorite Christmas Song? That honestly changes every 2 days in the Christmas season. Today it's "I'll be home for Christmas" (Josh Groban version) - guess why. :-)
Ever recycled a Christmas present? Yes. Is that bad? I don't mind getting other gifts people don't like if they truly think I'll like it.

Thanks, Allison, for starting this. I'm going to have to go hunt for some egg nog now ....

No comments: