Monday, December 8, 2008

Quito Day and Dump Party

What a full weekend, in every connotation of the word. God was present!

Saturday, Dec 6th, was Quito Day, but HCJB celebrated on Friday by having festivities in the courtyard (departments put on plays and dances, even a mock bull fight) and then by taking employees on a Chiva ride. A chiva is a big open bus-like vehicle with a mariachi band on top. They also give you free flags to wave that say "Viva Quito," a cup on a string (so you don't lose it), and whistles to make noise as you drive through the streets of Quito. I felt like I was 5 again and had so much fun doing it!!!

That evening, I had a free ticket to a concert at the Teatro Nacional Sucre. It was an evangelical choir plus this AMAZING Cuban violinist. I could've listened to him the whole time. Right when I got to the concert hall, God also painted a gorgeous sky for me.

Saturday was the big Dump Party. It's called that because, as you probably guessed, it takes place in the Quito slums, which is by the local city trash dump. Special teams came from the states for this big Christmas party which has become an annual event. I was on the games team (there were over 30 games going on), and guess which game they gave my group? American Football Toss!!!! I was so happy!

We worked from 9 - 1, cycling through lines of kids and adults. Other events for them included crafts, face painting, singing Christmas songs, a free lunch, and the ever popular photo with Santa Claus. Seriously, that was the longest line!

Overall, the official number of people was 4,002. They all also left with a free bag of rice and some other Christmas presents and the message that God loves them. Pray it made an impact!

No comments: