Wednesday, February 11, 2009

How to regain control as a teacher

at least at the college level.

Yesterday, I was explaining the word "soon" to my Level 1 class. So I sang a little bit of "Soon and very soon, we are going to see the King." They started whistling and shouting "Sing more," and I turned so red that they started laughing. And of course, the more they laughed, the redder I got until tears were streaming down my face. I kept trying to move on to the next word, but they were still whistling and ow-owing, and I just got redder and redder. I couldn't compose myself. So, finally I quickly said "Pop Quiz!" and they immediately calmed down.

This was also right after I thought one of my students was going to kiss me, he was standing so close.

3 comments:

Matt said...

Haha! That was a great story! Nothing like the threat of a quiz to turn the tables. What's this about a kiss?

Katrina Custer said...

It was an almost-kiss. I don't think he even noticed. I was bending over the podium looking at the book and he came and stood right beside me, looking at the book, too. My first thought was: our faces are so close right now, if I turned, we would kiss. So I backed away quickly.

The Arteagas said...

I now know why I never sing in my class!!!