Friday, February 20, 2009

Olé olé olé olé

On Tuesday, I got to go to my first major soccer game in a real live stadium and everything. It all started when my cousin Jen and I were in the park on Sunday buying nativity sets at a little stand. All of the sudden, she bumps me and says, "Check out the cute tall guy, four o'clock." Within seconds, however, cute tall guy was next to us at the stand and started talking away in English to Jen. Turns out, he and his friend were Brazilian soccer players (hence the matching green training outfits). They said they were in town to play a game on Tuesday, and we should come.

At first, I thought it was Ecuador's national team against Brazil's national team, but it turned out to be for the South American Cup, so it was a normal club team from Brazil (Palmeiras) against a normal club team from Quito (Liga). But we decided to go anyway.

It was a blast. Jen has better pictures and a video of what happened after the local team (Liga) scored. And as far as soccer goes, it was quite the offensive slaughter: 3 - 2. Anyway, I really want to go again.

2 comments:

Allison said...

Years ago in Bolivia I got to go to the World Cup match between Peru and Argentina. It was CRAZY. Riots were a real fear because of the intensity of the fans, but the excitement was electric. I can still hear the cheering: "Pe-ru!"

The Arteagas said...

I'm disappointed that you don't have a photo of the cute Brazilian players!?!?!