Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Why I count

4 weeks till I leave, 3 more teaching classes of Level III, 5 more Sundays of Spanish church, etc. I think I've spent all my life counting down to the next closest exciting thing in my life. I also think I've been chewed out for it nearly as much as for cracking my knuckles. People assume I'm living too much in the future and spending so much energy on future things that I'm not enjoying the present.

I won't say they're always wrong. Sometimes I count down because I can't wait to leave whatever situation I'm in, but usually the opposite is true. I count because it HELPS me to enjoy the present. For some reason (probably a TCK trait - Sheryl?), it helps me to bookend things. Knowing exactly when something will end or how many days I have to enjoy something reminds me to live it out to the fullest, to take advantage of opportunities, and to be pro-active in building relationships and things. In fact, seeing no end in sight to something is downright depressing and completely unmotivating to me. So, there's another MK quirk for you all.

4 weeks from tomorrow till my adventure in Ecuador expires.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I'm going to Amanda's wedding! You and I are going to catch up!