Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Selfish? Lucky? Humbled?

This morning when I was being surrounded and prayed for again, it struck me how missionaries are the most selfish people there are. I'm not even thinking about the money-support part of it at all, but prayer. When one decides to become a missionary, one is basically asking all kinds of people to invest in the ministry with prayer. I can be assured that pretty much every day, someone somewhere is praying for me and my upcoming ministry. How selfish!

Then I thought, well maybe it just means missionaries are the luckiest people around. They get to be prayed for constantly. They have a right or an excuse to send out e-mails asking for prayer all the time that other believers don't have.

So then I thought, why not? Why don't regular believers have that right to send out update e-mails all the time, to have a prayer team, to live with that assurance that someone somewhere is praying for you every day of the week? How differently would we live? Knowing that I get soaked in a sponge bath of prayer is probably the most humbling aspect of my life. If it doesn't challenge me to live each day sold out to Christ, I don't know what will.

1 comment:

Spring Lela Kane said...

You are NOT being selfish when loving being saturated in prayer. It's what the church is called to. It's beautiful. And I love your insight- God's called us to be in prayer for one another, whether we're going or staying. Thanks for the reminder.