Friday, July 31, 2009

Up Nort' in Dulut'

My friend Kristin and I left the Cities early Tuesday and spent that particular day not getting lost along the Superior Hiking Trail. The best part, aside from nature of course, had to be our conversations. Only with Kristin can I jump from a psalm I read that morning to my views on health care reform to obscure grammar, such as why hippopotamus doesn't become hippopatmi in plural but cactus (not Greek) does become cacti.
Our first stop was Bean Lake, where we heard loons (though it took me a while to convince Kristin they were not people moaning). We watched a particularly large bird (we never figured out what it was) soaring in wide circles around the lake, just for the fun of it (that's what we told ourselves). We ate lunch on the very edge of this precipe overlooking the lake and commenting on God's grand creation. From there it was just a short hop to Bear Lake before we looped around and returned to our car. That first hike was 6.7 miles. Our second stop promised a waterfall and was less than 1 mile.
This stop also had those little bugs that live on the surface of the water. I don't remember what they're called in English (only in German), so I tried describing them as the water walkers, the little bugs that imitate Jesus, little Jesi. The name stuck. Our last stop on Day 1 was Grand Marais where we strolled along the harbor, tried our hand at taking artistic pictures, and ate Uffda Pizza (in all seriousness) at Sven and Ole's.
So much for Day 1. We were wimps after our day of "roughin' it up nort'," and instead of sleeping bags fell into our Egyptian cotton sheets at the Sheraton Hotel, courtesy of my brother the Sheraton Employee of the Month in Tampa.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I suppose if you wanted to be etymologically correct about it, it would be "hippopotamoi."