Sunday, September 27, 2009

Advice from my elders

In no way do I mean to demean my aunts and uncles with this post, but it was too funny:

I saw 6 of my aunts and uncles in the last 24 hours. It was intentional so that I could say good-bye before I head out for Germany (whenever that is). At some point before the actual good-bye, each aunt and uncle separately came up to me, placed a hand on my shoulder, got a very serious look on his/her face, and said, "Drive carefully, young lady/missy/Katrina." Obviously, in the context of my cousin's recent car accident, I know where they were coming from and very somberly replied that I would.

As I slid into my car, my Dad called to check on my estimated time of arrival at their home in Colorado. We talked for a few minutes, and then, as we were saying good-bye, he said, "Drive fast!" I was so shocked I laughed out loud. I love my Dad!

No comments: