Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Dare I post this?

I’ll be the first to admit that I rarely make New Year’s Resolutions, and if I do, I keep them secret. No need for the whole world to know how epically I fail at keeping them. However, this year three words have been mulling around in my mind, and since they all start with W (sort of), they’re too good to keep to myself. Plus, they’re adequately vague so that I can be brave enough to publish them without the internal pressure combined with guilt I naturally feel under accountability. So, without further ado, here are my 2014 New Year’s Resolutions:

1. Write More.
It’s not that I have grand aspirations of being a writer, like my cool friends who are published (Jackie Lea, Kristin, Tommy, …), but I want to refine my skills. I tell my students in my online class all the time that the only way to get better at writing is to write. Maybe it’s time to practice what I teach. I do have more specific goals that I’ll keep to myself, but one of the side effects of being forced to leave Germany for a year is, I hope, even just the chance to write more. Guess I’ll leave the details to God.

2. Walk More.
Again, I do have some secret specific goals and one particular plan that should avail me of much time and space to walk, but even without that, I want to walk more. With my newly purchased, albeit holey, backpack, I want to explore more of the wooded paths around the Kandern, the ones I physically can’t run. Perhaps even the stretch between my home and school could become more familiar to my walking boots. There’s just something about that rhythm of movement that frees me up to think more clearly.

3. Word More.
So far, I’ve used every odd year in this millennium to read through the Bible in a year. My Bible reading in the even years tend to be a bit more willy nilly and unstructured, which can be great for going more in depth but can also mean I’m not as disciplined as in the odd years. In this year, I’m going set the broad goal of Word More, but what I mean is really depth AND consistency. I really do treasure God’s word, yet it loses its luster the longer I ignore it. I don’t want that to be a problem this year.


That’s it. Short and sweet but oh so challenging.

2 comments:

Spring Lela Kane said...

Amen to this! "I really do treasure God’s word, yet it loses its luster the longer I ignore it. I don’t want that to be a problem this year." It's a constant discipline, isn't it? Yet one that's so rewarding. Enjoyed your blog post!

Unknown said...

This is very similar to mine this year!! :) WRITING was definitely on there, as I attempt to get down all the memories from 22 years before they become too vague, and also, in order to share them so that the Lord gets the glory for the things HE has done!! The Word, too, and one more thing in this....to MEMORIZE more...so that those precious words will become part of me, and I can take them out at any time anywhere... Thanks for sharing! Twas a huge encouragement!
Donna Jeanne