Monday, June 9, 2008

Adonai Jireh

I was going to blog yesterday, but it's a good thing I didn't since the title would have been something along the lines of "Katrina and the terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad day." I left a book at home I promised a friend, locked my keys in the Jen's car, got a BIG stain of goose juice on my favorite white blouse, found out my insurance would not cover my car windows like they had said, received a first estimate of around $1,000 for the glass, and fell asleep crying which meant I woke up with puffy, red eyes. Not to say good things didn't happen (lunch with friends, a cheering-up session with Sarah, etc.), but I was feeling overwhelmed.

It was after midnight and I couldn't sleep, so I started talking to God. Here's a snippet of our conversation:

Me: That wasn't fair, God. I was off helping people, and you allowed my windows to get smashed when you knew my insurance wouldn't cover them.
God: So, you're saying I did it on purpose?
Me: No, but you allowed it to happen.
God: So, I have to make sure no bad things ever happen to believers?
Me: Well, I know that's not true. But come on, I was giving up my time and some money already to help out some friends. You could have helped out a little.
God: Okay, so it's when people are serving me and doing "especially good" things that I can't allow bad things to happen? I think you have plenty of examples to prove otherwise.
Me: Like who?
God: David, Jeremiah, Mary and Joseph, Paul, Abraham? Do I need to keep going.
Me: ...
God: What name did you learn about me this morning?
Me: Adonai Jireh.
God: Meaning?
Me: The Lord will Provide.
God: Do you believe that?
Me: ... Um, with half my heart.
God: Uh-huh. So you know what you need to do. Hey, here's a song for you.

And I must have fallen asleep singing "His Grace is Sufficient for me" and other Bible verses (thank you, GT). This morning I called some more places. Final bill: $410, and they were able to fix it today! Adonai Jireh.

2 comments:

ella peterson said...

Praise God from whom all blessing flow! thank you so much for sharing your conversation with us.

Jennifer C. said...

very cool.