Monday, June 2, 2008

The Weekend Saga, Part II: The Bad AND the Ugly

After my enourmously smooth flight from Chicago, the lovely Sharon was waiting to pick me up and take me back to my car in St. Louis Park. She casually mentioned that there had been a big storm Saturday night, but I didn't think much of it. It hadn't made the news in Chicago, so it couldn't have been worse than the Hugo tornado last week.

That was, of course, before we saw my car. When I first walked up to it, I immediately saw the four smaller cracks on my front windshield, all on the driver's side. The rubber around the glass had really taken a hard beating and was scratched up, meaning it had probably leaked rain into my car. My head started spinning dollar signs for the replacement of an entire front windshield, but then I noticed some glass on the seat. Strange, the windshield was cracked, but I didn't see it broken in any places. I unlocked the door and threw my purse in and saw, to my dismay, even more glass pieces around. I looked up to glance out the back, and saw the car behind me clear as day - too clear. I had no back window.

It was an absolute mess. The back windshield had not just broken. It had broken into a thousand tiny pieces that littered my car and had let in buckets of rain. Sharon I stood there with our jaws dropped. I wasn't sure if I could drive it like this although my car did start, but I figured as soon as I went above 30 miles an hour, all those glass pieces would go flying out the back and hit the cars behind me. None of the friends I called had or were near their shopvacs, but my brother suggested taking it to a gas station. At the 8th one (!!!!!), they finally had one in working order, so $3 later I had at least vacuumed out all the major glass pieces.

I drove down to Victoria where my brother and his wife currently have three cars (thank you, Jesus, my parents left their car in Minnesota this time instead of Colorad0), so I put mine in their garage, and drove one of the three home to use for this week. The silver lining is that my insurance will cover the damage though I have to get an estimate from them, and with all the claims currently in the Twin Cities from two back-to-back storms, the soonest appointment I got was for Sunday. Oh well. God is providing, as Sharon so firmly knew he would.

3 comments:

Allison said...

What a disappointment. I hope it gets fixed quickly with no insurance problems!

Erin said...

Oh, man, Katrina. What a bummer I'm so sorry about the car. It was so great to catch up with you, though!

Bonny said...

WHOA!!! I am so sorry!! That really bites! I feel so bad. I'm still really glad that you came, even though your car got trashed while you were gone.......That is SO awful!