Monday, June 2, 2008

The Weekend Saga, Part I: The Good

Saturday was wonderful. The air was crisp and clear as I got into my car at 5:30 am and drove down to St. Louis Park where I met up with Sean and Bonny and their moving crew which included long-time friend, Erin, whom I hadn't seen in a year and a half (travesty). With Caribou coffees in hand, we hit the road heading toward Chicago and made pretty good time despite one of the vehicles being a large moving truck. Erin and I had a car all to ourselves, so we gabbed it up; it really took the entire 7 hours to catch up on each other's lives. It felt so good.

The bathroom breaks, lunch, and the huge gas tank on the truck slowed us down enough that it was nearly 4:00 by the time we got to Sean and Bonny's new place, but I was impressed. We had the entire truck unloaded and returned to the rental place by 6:00. Most of us were absolutely drenched, and while the guys set up the big things (TV's, beds, piano, and furniture), Erin, Bonny, and I cleaned and scrubbed practially every surface in the bathroom and kitchen. Brigita had the most fun running from room to room, eating a piece of paper, and then throwing it up. Think she marked her place in the apartment.

By 9:30, we had showered and called it quitz, but we still managed to drag ourselves out for a nice dinner and a small exploration of the neighborhood. I crashed so hard on my comfy air mattress when we got back to the apartment and slept all the way until 9:30 am the next morning. Sunday was just as fun, too. After the leisurely wake-up, Sean and Bonny treated us to brunch before we headed into the city and visited the Field Museum. Anyone who knows me knows what a museum geek I am, so I loved every minute there. A minute too much perhaps, for we left there at 3:00, thinking we'd have plenty of time to get me to my 4:40 flight back to the Twin Cities, but it got a little tight.

Actually, it was the smoothest, best flight I've had in a long time. The airport check-in was just how I like it. We pulled up to the curb at 4:05, walked right up to the counter, got my boarding pass, practically sped through security, walked (never had to run) down the concourse (I'm ALWAYS at the last gate), immediately got in line for my already-boarding flight, sat down, shut the gates, and arrived in Minneapolis 20 minutes ahead of schedule. I think I was in both airports a total of 30 minutes. It doesn't get any better than that!

No comments: