Sunday, June 14, 2009

Europe, Part 1

Wow, so much has happened in the last 10 days that have felt like 30! My siblings and I all arrived in Kandern, Germany (site of BFA and my future home) last week Thursday. We enjoyed driving around the countryside and visiting the school. For Andi, Jen, Scott, and Fiona, it held several reunions with old friends and teachers. For me, it was fun to walk the halls and meet some of my future colleagues, Lord willing.After a couple of days at BFA, we packed ourselves into two cars and drove home to Spittal, Austria in the pouring rain. And I mean 7 hours of POURING. Crazy European weather! Our first full day home was Sunday which was the day I was dreading most because church was going to be a good-bye for my parents. I did okay as long as I didn't look directly at my parents or listen too closely to the testimonies people were giving or glance around at all the church members. Basically, I cried a lot, but it wasn't so bad after all. They really are tears of gratefulness to God for the 28 years he allowed my family to live and work in Austria, 14 of them in this Spittal church that I love so deeply with all my heart.

On Monday, the packing began in earnest. 8 of us spent 8 hours the first day and plowed through so much. The guys started taking apart furniture, first and foremost my parents' wardrobes that have been old, broken, and cracked for years. Andi and Scotti made more runs to the dump than I remember. We girls packed books and dishes and a million other knick-knacks, and overall it was fun work, though we were definitely wiped out at the end of each day. Because we accomplished so much Monday and Tuesday, we actually got to take Thursday off and drive around to see some scenery and visit with some friends.

All right, more later.

No comments: