Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Life and the Name

I'm following a read-through-the-Bible for 2009, and a couple of days ago, my OT and NT passages surprisingly correlated. In Nehemiah, the passage was a praise song when the Israelites rededicated themselves after the exile. In Acts, Peter and John met and healed the cripple outside the Gate Beautiful. The parts that stood out to me had to do with a reference to the "author of life." Both end up crediting life in general and a new life specifically to "the Name."

So, I was trying to figure out how authoring life and God's name fit together. It's true that when you give life to something, whether it be a baby, an invention, a new theory, etc, that you usually get to name it. But with God it's still different because it's about HIS name. In our case, the name comes after the birth of something, whereas in his case, life follows the Name.

Of course, as Christians, we know that our very existence is solely dependent on God's will to create us. The great I Am created little I am's out of nothing! Where I see my life's dependence on his name most severely is in my spiritual walk. It would be completely non-existent without his Name daily speaking into my life through his Word and his Spirit.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Great post lady! I think you're trying to be CS Lewis :P