Friday, January 15, 2010

Conversation with my student today

Picture him drawing like there's no tomorrow during the entire conversation and me flipping through his history book next to him.

Me: Hey, VW, are you excited about starting History class with me?
VW: Mm.
Me: You're studying about the Egyptians right now, aren't you?
VW: Mm. ... They have many long tunnels for their graves.
Me: Oh yeah? In the pyramids?
VW: In the valley of the Kings.
Me: Yes!
VW: Archaeologists find these things.
Me: Do you want to be an archaeologist when you grow up?
VW: No, it's not my gift.
Me: Oh really? What is your gift?
VW: Well, I can draw.
Me: Yes, and you have imagination.
VW: God gives imagination to everyone.
Me: Maybe, but you're using your imagination in your gifting of drawing. That's excellent. Maybe you'll be a great artist someday. You could draw painting or comic books or create computer games.
VW: Yes.
Me: Well, keep on doing that for God!
VW: Okay.

2 comments:

jake said...

Did you feel like a cheerleader in front of a crowd who doesn't care!?!?

Katrina Custer said...

It's hard to know how much is going in and sticking. I was just excited he thought of himself as having gifts.