Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Day by Day

Yesterday was a day. I had a student meeting before school even started with a very reluctant student (talk about pulling teeth). Then, in 2nd hour, the student had a near melt down because he'd forgotten his eraser. By the second flip-out, I was out the door, running from room to room in order to locate one, just so we could get back to the lesson. My prep hours were full of impromptu meetings and stress. Then I went into 5th hour with eraser boy again, followed next by my middle school group where one student went from one goofy voice to another, sang high-pitched songs no matter how often I asked him to stop, and ate his science project. Lovely. I literally shoved him out the door when the bell rang and collapsed into my chair until I remembered I had to hurry off to an after-school meeting that went till 5:45!

I was pretty much dreading today. It began with another before-school meeting, and I knew it would end with another after-school meeting. Ugh.

The meeting was just fine, and I was able to smile when my 1st hour boys entered. As we got started, I asked how their classes were going or if they knew of any upcoming projects. One of them told me about this note packet they have to fill out for History and the reading notes they have to take. Then, the other one asked these golden words that made my heart sing and my shoulders feel light again, "How does one take good reading notes anyway?" Guess what my lesson was on today? There is a God!

2nd hour student was calm and collected today, eraser firmly clutched in his hand, sing-songy boy had so much homework, he didn't have a chance to get distracted or eat anything he shouldn't, and the after-school meeting was smooth and short, so I was still able to get my shopping trip in (I needed milk). What a day!

No comments: